Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do customers have the right ... to be a horse's rear?

I work part-time at a hardware store and am amazed at the incredibly rude behavior some of our customers perform.

1. Interruption - Didn't your mother teach you not to interrupt a conversation between two adults? Why does that rule go out the window when the employee is obviously helping a customer and another one bleats out "I've got a question, where is...?" I could see if the employee is jawjacking with a co-worker or obviously trying to get a date with some hunk or some pretty thing. Wait your turn!!!!

2. Trash - This goes back to Mom again. Is a shelf in a store a good place to leave your nasty half-filled soda can or better yet, day-old coffee cup or spit cup? I find stuff behind displays, inbetween shelves and other interesting places.

3. Getting mad if the store is out of what you want - I get frustrated too when I can't find what I want but for Pete's sake, don't take it out on the employee if they have already climbed ladders, went outside and checked everywhere for your precious little bauble. Take a deep breath and move on.

4. Deciding the product on the very top shelf is the one you want (variation: on the bottom of the pile) - What is up with that? It is important to get a good product but if you haven't even looked yet, don't make the employee block half the store to get equipment to take it down all because a 2x4 has a little nick in it.

5. Learn to read - I've had countless people look and look for something and shove a box in my face asking me if it's right for them. The box, as with all boxes, usually tells you the key features of the product in English and Spanish. Usually once I read the box to them, the customer snatches it from my hands saying "that's it!" Thank Goodness for High School English!
6. Last minute shoppers - I am guilty of this too but I do try to make it quick. The ones I'm talking about are actually browsing and lollygagging around. Then when I approach them, asking them if they need help and the store has just closed, the obvious clues of dimmed lights and the loud announcement "The store is now closed" whisks over their heads. "What?" they say... "the store is closed?" like this is an impossible thing. I think locking them in for the night might help them learn.

7. Rearranging the store - I think people must have leave of their senses and drop whatever they have in their hands and put products in very odd places. I'm not even talking about similar items mixed together. Blinds in with the moulding; Paint cans on top of bricks; lights mixed in with nails. If you enjoy "find where this goes," play somewhere else.

8. Stealing - Empty packages make me sad. The items stolen are usually so cheap, why even do it?

9. Children - Why? Why must you bring your children in? I understand it's hard to find daycare or a babysitter but a hardware store is not a place for a child. They skate on their little "heelies" in front of large equipment that could squash them like a bug. They climb on carts like they are jungle gyms. Do people just want to get some extra cash by seeing if their child can get seriously hurt or worse? Or are parents secretly trying to get rid of their kids by throwing them to the wolves?

10. What to call the employee - How about Ma'am or Sir? Not "hey you" "sweetie" "shug" whistling, grabbing, pointing. We're not animals. We even have our names emblazened across our shirts.

I think this is enough for now...

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home